If you’re thinking about getting a pair of roller skates, then it can be really difficult to know where to start. Can beginners use inline skates? Or should they start off with a regular pair of quad skates? Well, these are all things we’re going to look at in this guide.
Generally, roller skates are pretty similar in the way that they’re made, and there isn’t a great deal of difference between them. There are a few little things that you should look out for however, which I’ll touch on throughout this article. So, let’s take a quick look at some of the things you’ll want to think about when looking for a set of roller skates.
Best Roller Skates for Beginners
|Product||Image||Get More Info|
|Roller Derby Trac Stars||Find Best Price|
|Chicago Classic||Find Best Price|
|Candi Girl Lucy||Find Best Price|
|Chicago Plain Black Mens||Find Best Price|
If you’re completely new to roller skating, then it’s best to start out using quad skates (those with 4 wheels, two each side) as opposed to inline skates (3 or more wheels in a row central to the skate). So, most of the selections here are quad roller skates, but I’ve included a few inline skates at the end incase that’s what you’re looking for.
Roller Derby Trac Stars – Best Boys Roller Skates
- Outgrow no more! Adjust up to 4 sizes at the push of a button. Large adjusts from size 3 to 6
- Perfect for young skaters! Comfort and support with no laces to tie
- Real trucks for controlled turning and the best quad skating experience
- Smooth ride indoors and outdoors! 54mm urethane wheels have the right grip and bounce for the rink or pavement
- High quality components and time-tested performance from America’s skate company, Roller Derby
If you’re looking for skates that are durable enough for using outdoors but aren’t big and bulky, then this set of Trac Stars is probably my favorite choice. Although they look quite large, they’re actually a great size to give enough space for moving your feet around freely. As opposed to the typical indoor leather material, they’re made of plastic, which can prove to be better if you’re going to be skating outdoors a lot.
Another good thing about the Trac Stars is that they’re easily adjustable depending on their size. So, if you purchase a size large, this ranges from sizes 3-6 – as your child’s feet grows in size, you can just adjust the skates to suit their feet. This saves you buying a new set of skates every year when their feet grow, so it can save you some cash in the long run.
The skates use 54mm urethane wheel, which should give you enough grip as a beginner. Overall, if you’re looking for a set of skates for a young boy or girl, then this set are one of my favorite choices.
Chicago Classic – Best Women’s Skates
- Sport Type: Roller Skating/Roller Blading
These Classic Skates have been one of the most popular sets around for a while now, and it’s no surprise. Whilst kids skates are made in a variety of different designs and colors, adult skates are somewhat more subtle in their design. These plain white skates are a great example of a subtle design that works well. Although they’re designed for adult women, you can pick them up in smaller sizes too if you prefer this design for your kids.
This set also use Urethane wheels, but they’re made larger than for some other sets at 60mm. They also have a nicely designed front brake on the skates too, which is an essential for beginners. All you need to do is tilt your foot forward and you can slow yourself down – this is an important part of skating, so having a decent brake can help you to learn to skate quicker.
If you do considering getting these skates, then it might be a good idea to order a size down. Like with many roller skates, they come quite large. So, if you’re a size 5.5-6 in shoes, then it’s probably a good idea to get these skates in a 5. They’re a simple classic design which are going to be perfect for the majority of women.
Candi Grl Lucy – My Favorite Girls Skates
- EZ Twist Knob adjusts up to 4 full children's sizes (Small 12J to 2) or (Medium 3 to 6)
- Hightop boot design with great ankle support and comfortable padded lining
- High impact chassis with PU Cushions for shock absorption and controlled turning
- Fast and smooth rolling Silver-5 Speed Rated (carbon) bearings
- Urethane 54mm X 32mm indoor or outdoor wheels for rink or pavement
If you’re looking for a cute set of skates for a girl, then this set of Candy Grl skates are perfect. They have a nice pineapple design which isn’t too much, so they’re not going to be embarrassing to wear, even for older girls. Like other childrens skates, they’re very easy to adjust the sizes so that they can fit your child over a number of years. They have a lot of padding around the base of the shoes, which makes them good for beginners, as they offer a lot of support.
These skates use silver chrome bearings as opposed to the standard carbon bearings, and you can feel the difference when you’re skating. They have a more supportive truck, and the chassis of the skate is durable too, so you won’t have to worry about damaging them within a few months. These are a good choice if you have a girl who might consider taking their skating serious, as although they’re good for beginners, they offer great stability and handling. This makes them suitable for more advanced levels, too.
Chicago Plain Black Mens – Designed for Men
- A CLASSIC: This iconic Roller Rink Skate from Chicago is strategically designed for gliding and is also a popular choice for all-around rink and social skating for decades.
- SUPPORT: The Chicago Rink Skate features a controlled high top for optimum safety as well as high quality laces for maximum protection, leaving your foot comfortable and secure.
- STABILITY & CONTROL: The urethane wheels hold up well against the normal wear and tear of skating, provide traction and control, and the semi-precision bearings keep you rolling smooth and fast.
- COMFORT FIT: The skate features a traditional high top profile boot to support your ankles and a simple eyelet/speed hook lacing system that allows you to adjust the fit as you go.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Complete with an aluminum base plate with adjustable truck provides easy turning and control as well as wheels suitable for indoor and outdoor skating.
Chicago make some awesome shoes for kids, but personally I prefer them for adult shoes. Like the white Chicago Classic’s they make for women, they also make some jet black skates for men too. In all honesty there isn’t much difference between the two, and if you’re a woman who prefers black, then these might be a better choice. Similarly if you’re a guy who likes white/pink, opt for the classics – they’re pretty much suitable for any gender! They’re available in a wide variety of different sizes too.
These skates have an aluminium base, which gives them some stability. You can also easily adjust the truck of the skates to suit your style of skating too, and with the semi precision bearings, you should easily be able to manoeuvre with these skates. They aren’t much different to any other Chicago roller skates, which makes them one of the better options currently available for men.
Roller Derby Laser MX – Alternative for Boys
- Boot: Reinforced comfort fit boot with heel stabilizer, padded collar, and laces & Velcro power strap
- Chassis: Tru-Tac
- Wheels: 54mm Clear Urethane with Pro Core
- Bearings: ABEC 7
If you don’t like the plastic design of the Trac stars, then you can always find a boys set made from leather. Leather tends to be the better choice if you’re going to be doing a lot of indoor skating. Whilst this set might not be the most aesthetically pleasing, they’re definitely comfortable – this is primarily because of the way the boot is designed to fit as the heel is stablized, making it good for those who want to protect their ankles.
They also use both laces and a velcro strap too. This will give the ankle extra necessary support, which is exactly what you want for younger kids. So, this set provides another great alternative for boys rollerskates.
Roller Derby Fun Rolls – Girl’s Alternative
- Outgrow no more! Adjust up to 4 sizes at the twist of a lever. Small (7J-11J) or Medium (11J-2)
- Learn to skate with the rugged and fun "tractor skate" design
- Strong and supportive boot with extra-cushy padded liner for comfort and control
- Low center of gravity for more balance and safety means more skating and less falling
If you’re looking for something super cute and you’re conscious about the design of your skates, then it’s definitely worth looking at this set. You can find it in a both small and medium, and the good thing is that they’re adjustable, meaning they’ll fit for a longer period of time. They’re an especially good choice for toddler ages, as they’re really good training skates. They’re not the most durable, so they’re not going to be a good choice for people looking for something that will last forever. But they do provide another good option if you’re looking for a pair of girls skates.
What about Inline Skates?
If you’re a little more confident with your skating, then you might want to look at getting some inline skates. This isn’t a good choice if you’re not a confident skater in my opinion, but for some people inline skates can make a decent choice too.
Do I need kneepads?
Another thing that you’ll really need to think about if you’re getting a pair of skates is whether you need to use kneepads with them. Although they might not seem like the coolest thing in the world (especially for teenagers!), in my eyes it’s pretty essential that you get a pair of skating kneepads to use whilst you’re skating. This is especially true for beginners, because you ARE going to fall over at some point! And, it’s human instinct to fall on your knees, so a pair of kneepads is a good investment.
Why Quad Skates are better for Beginners
If you’re new to skating, then you’ll definitely want to get some quad skates before you try your hand at inline skating. I’ve written a whole article comparing inline and quad skates, so check that out if you want some more detail about why I prefer quads for beginners. In short – they’re just much more stable due to their design, so for beginners (and those without balance!), they often prove to be the better choice.
All in all, these are just a few of the options you’ll have to choose from if you’re looking for a new set of roller skates. I’ve tried to include sets of all genders and ages here, so there should be something for everyone. Depending on what exactly it is you’re looking for, your needs will be different – so make sure you think about what you need beforehand.
Skating can be an awesome activity, for both adults and kids. Ensuring that you have the right skates for the job is essential for safe skating, so make sure that you get the right pair for you.